Saturday, June 13, 2009

"Early Father's Day", and "To Crash, or not to Crash?"

Father's Day came early this year in our house. This was due to hectic travel schedules on everyone's part. My FIL is leaving tomorrow morning for a business trip, and then on Thursday, my husband and maybe myself (more on the maybe part in a minute), will be flying to Atlanta to visit his brother and his fiancee.

We won't be back until late Sunday night which meant that we had to celebrate this weekend....

I decided that for F Day, I really wanted to surprise my hubby with the baby's gender. How perfect is that, right?

Well, my OBGYN attempted to thwart my plans. He wanted me to wait until I was 20 (to date, I'm almost 19) weeks to have my ultrasound, so he scheduled me for the 22nd of June. Well, BOO on that, sir!

I was soooo bummed! But then, a friend suggested something brilliant:
Just go to one of those 3D imaging places, and pay them to do the ultrasound.

(She's a genius)

Off I went! Granted we're trying to save money and all, but this was too perfect!


After almost a half an hour of the baby hiding the goods, my MIL and I got the news:

It's a BOY!!

I totally started bawling. Happy Tears, of course!


I found the cutest little frames that have the "What are Boys Made of?" rhyme on them, and inserted the two best u/s pics....

We presented one to my FIL and one to my hubs last night.

The look on his face was PRICELESS. :)

He's over the MOON to be having a son, and it's kinda cool because my husband was the firstborn son to his parents, and the first grandchild to his parents, and our son will follow that line as well.

Get ready world, Owen Christopher Guillermo is on his way!

Now on on to the 2nd part of today's blog--

Like I mentioned at the top of this post, my husband and I are supposed to fly out on the 18th, and spend the weekend with his brother and our soon-to-be sister-in-law, to celebrate their respective bachelor/ette parties, but I think that I may be bowing out.

This makes me very sad, as I was really looking forward to spending time with them, but the problem is, well, our lodging arrangement while there.

My husband and I will not actually be together for most of the trip, as he'll be going out to the woods to rent a cabin and do "manly-man" man things with his brother and the other groomsmen.

I, on the other hand, will stay with my new SIL, as we celebrate bridal things, and have Girls Night Out, etc....

Awesome, I know. Except for the fact that I would spend three nights crashed on their couch in a very cool, but small loft-type studio.

This is going to make me sound like a spoiled brat, but I can't really crash on people's couches/floors anymore. Not with my 80-year-old-lady joints.

And as I mentioned before, pregnancy has compounded this problem quite a bit. I'm pretty much in pain all the time.

In the middle of the night, it's worse because of sleeping in one position or another for an extended period of time. I have a hard time getting up and out of bed, I have to hobble to the bathroom (constantly, as little man has taken up residence directly on my bladder), and sometimes I don't always make it, ahem, successfully. The pain and stiffness issue should go back to the level I'm used to after i give birth, but it doesn't help the situation at hand now.

As you can see, this doesn't really bode well for crashing on a couch (one that I have never seen, nor have any idea if it's actually big enough to handle a 5-months-pregnant disabled woman--both my BIL and SIL are no bigger than a minute), and navigating terrain in the dark that I'm not familiar with.

I just don't think it's going to end well, and my husband hasn't been okay with the arrangement from the get-go. He doesn't want me to be uncomfortable and sleepless for 3 days, but mostly, he's afraid I'll fall down and hurt myself.

At first, I just thought he was being a worry wort, but given my pain level these days and my recent falls, I've started to feel apprehensive myself.

Our original plan was to get me a hotel/motel room, so that the bathroom would be steps from the bed, and I'd be able to leave the bathroom lights on all night to help me see...

But as this trip is already breaking our bank as it is, that arrangement is out of the question.


I want to go! I'd hate to miss out on this, especially since we're missing out on the wedding in October.

So what's a girl to do? Do I just go armed with cane and a nightlight, suck it up, and hope for the best? Or do I resign myself to staying home?

Sometimes, my Cerebral Palsy really pisses me off.

But, I can't be too whiny. The most important thing is that my husband will get to spend some time with his brother, which he's stoked for, and lest we forget:

We're having a SON!

4 comments:

Sarsar said...

YAYAYAYAYAY!!! a lil boy!! WOOHOO!! Im so excited, boys are the BEST! My opinion is to not go, yes, its sad that you will miss out, but you gotta take care of YOU! You are Owen's home right now, gotta keep it safe! plus, plane rides are difficult and its impotant to get up and walk every hour or so cause you are more suseptable to bloodclots... and that may make travel a "you know what" too. Blah...

Kat said...

Yay for the boy! I Can't wait to meet that sweet little man!!

Unless your sil can come up with a better arrangement (like let you have the bed for a few days), then I don't think you should go. It's not selfish, it's you looking out for the well being of yourself and baby boy. If you fall, he can suffer, and sleeping on a couch while pregnant is miserable for anyone, let alone with your CP! Can you be frank with your sil? Can you ask her to share or let you have the bed when the guys are out at the cabin? I'm sure she'd love to be accomidating if you gave her a chance. I'd bend over backwards for my sil's especially when they're pregnant!

Jayne said...

Thanks for the feedback ladies! We talked to my BIL today, and it was their intention all along to let me have the bed while I stayed there, so that makes my hubby feel a lot better, and me too, for that matter. I do feel bad that my poor SIL will have to sleep on the couch during her own little shindig, but they won't take no for an answer. So yay! I can go!

Victory Bird said...

1. Hooray for Owen Christopher Guillermo!! I pretty much was in tears when I heard;) How exciting and what a sweet surprise for the father-to-be!
2. Duh, we've got a super awesome bed for you! Don't think for a second we would have you on the couch [though I have to say, it is the bomb.com couch and I love it!]. I'm pretty sure we are going to have a good set-up, with easy access to the bathroom, and we will do anything to make you more comfortable! Can't wait!!