Monday, September 28, 2009

This is a Test of your Emergency Birthing System...

So Owen tried to make a break for it.

Well, I guess we can't really blame it all on him....

They think that my amniotic sac sprung a leak, which can obviously result in preterm labor, which OBVIOUSLY scared the living SHIT out of Owen's daddy and me.

We checked into the hospital on Thursday night, and they immediately put me in a room and hooked me up to a monitor.

IV antibiotics to prevent infection, and steroids to help develop Owen's premature lungs, immediately followed.

3 days of monitoring, tests and major panic attacks brought up the ranks.

It was absolutely terrifying. While they were confident of his survival, hearing words like "NICU," "breathing machines," "feeding tubes," etc., in regards to the birth of your child is just heart-stopping.

Particularly, when as his mother, you were born premature and have had a lot of problems as a result...

But good news all around!

The leak seems to have sealed itself up (apparently that happens), the baby is stable, I'm stable and all looks good for now.

The perinatalogist (sp?) does think that Owen will still be coming early...like possibly in the next 2 weeks (which will still make him premature, but not dangerously so, and the steroids have given him a leg up at this point).

WOAH.

He's fully positioned for birth already. His head is so buried in my cervix, they could not get a clear reading of the cervical length.

COMFY.

Freaks me out. I do not feel prepared for him yet! There's still a lot of cleaning and organzing to do! And now I'm on strict bed rest. CRAP!

(I know, I have issues.)

But as long as he is born healthy, that's all that matters.


In other news, I will be having a scheduled C-Section. My OB feels as though it is our safest option given my hip structure and pelvic muscles.

This was definitely not my original plan, but as I'm being forced to learn more and MORE every day, there is no PLANNING in parenthood. Akin to that old "No crying in Baseball" adage, I think...

Oh, and did I mention that my son is huge?

Yeah, he's already over 6 lbs.

His father is very proud.
I'm just resigning myself to adult diapers.

Think about it.


Anyway, wish me luck! Hopefully, we can keep Owen baking for as long as possible!

I have a follow up appointment on Wednesday, so I'll post an update then...

3 comments:

Kat said...

If you want any advice/TMI about c-sections, let me know!!

Unknown said...

This is SCARY stuff, but I'm so glad you're doing better and that things are looking up. You'll do great and I'll be praying for you!! <3

Happy Fun Pants said...

OH MY GOSH. I mean, I'm all for seeing picks of Owen soon, but SHEESH KID!