Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm Pregnant! Wait...WHAT?

It all started with intention of going to the doctor for an annual pap exam. Last Tuesday. March 3rd, to be exact.

I arrived on time and filled out the appropriate paperwork. Then they called me back and asked me to pee in a cup, you know, like you do...

As I sit in the waiting room waiting for the gynecologist to come in and the torture to begin, my thoughts are not even remotely on pregnancy or conception of any kind. This will change in a matter of seconds...

So all of the sudden a nurse pops in. She looks at me and says: "So your pregnancy test came back positive...."

(It did?! WHAT pregnancy test? I'm sorry, are you speaking English? Condoms LIE!)

I immediately burst into tears.

Don't get me wrong, I love children and I have always wanted to be a mother, but we've pretty much been kicked the shit out of by this current economy, so great timing this is not.

But timing aside, my husband and I would do nothing other other than keep any child that came our way, so after assuring them that I didn't need info about abortion OR adoption services, I called my best friend who talked me down from the panic attack I was having, and then called my husband to inform him of his newly appointed daddyhood.

(And by the way, they wouldn't even give me the pap exam. They said that I needed to schedule a prenatal appointment with an OBGYN.)


So, it's official: I'm pregnant. NOW WHAT?

No comments: