Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good News and Gambling?

Sorry this update is so late!
So so so sorry.

With the Huz being outta state for his Nana's funeral and both O and I contracting the plague-

Things have been a little hectic.

Oh, and we're moving.
In less than 2 weeks.
I think.

But I'll get to that...

The most important update is:


Even the pre-cancerous cells have been down-graded from severe to mild.

The pregnancy will be able to continue along healthily as planned! Yay!

Honestly, for the first couple of days afterward, I couldn't wrap my brain around it. I kept waiting for them to call back saying there'd been a mistake...

My OB was shocked. He was fully expecting cancer. He's honestly still guarded, and will be checking my cervix every 2 months...

For now, I'm taking the news and running with it!

I feel like we can FINALLY get excited about this pregnancy.

What a concept!

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou again to everyone who sent love, encouragement, and prayers our way.

You guys are just frikken fantastic.

Ok, on to the move-

If you know me irl, or have read along for any decent length of time, you know that we live with my in-laws

What was supposed to be 4-6 months has managed to linger now for 3.5 years...

With a second child coming, we need to move. All parties agree.

The problem, as with most of life, is the math.

It doesn't add up.

With one income, two kids, a stack of bills and a pile of debt, our paychecks vaporize on contact.

Our one possible saving grace is that my Huz' job has the opportunity for commission.

His probationary period was over mid-December and he made his first commission in January.

That check alone was almost a month's worth of salary.

Right into savings it flew to add to the nest egg we're desperately attempting to build...

Great, right?

We thought it was, so we started seriously looking for apartments.

We've been searching on a preliminary basis for the past year almost, but this time, we actually started touring places...

We needed a 2bd, first floor unit, preferably with washer/dryer hookups.

And we needed to stay close to my in-laws because I can't drive and would occasionally need transportation...

As we live in SoCal and the ILs happen to live in a fairly affluent section therein, this was all adding up to A LOT of money.

We were about ready to resign ourselves to our fate when a good friend mentioned a move-in special at her complex...

They were offering a 2bd/2ba unit on the 1st floor WITH w/d hookups and a small patio for 300-400 bucks less a month than anywhere else we'd seen.

And they paid for several utilities...

We put a holding deposit down, but then Nana died and Husband flew out for the funeral.

Our hold was only good for 48hrs, and several other people were interested...

I was pretty sure we were screwed.
But, turns out?

They held it for us because they knew we were handling a family death.


We found out on Friday that we were approved for the apt. and can move in on 2/18 if we so wish...

We were positively giddy.
I don't think either one of us expected to get the place--definitely NOT so quickly.

Look at us!
We're moving!

At this point, math reared it's ugly head and stopped us dead in our tracks...

We'd never make it work on our base salary alone.

Huzzle would HAVE to bring in a substantial amount of commission every month or we'd be effed.


We "knew" that, but it really slapped us in the face when signing a lease became an ACTUAL possibility.

But if we waited until we could live on just the base?

We'd be bunkin' with the 'rents for at least another 3 years...

As my MIL so eloquently put it:

"Ummm, no. None of us can handle that..."


So we have to take a leap, and do our best to hit the ground running and make it work.

But is that smart? Is it the right thing to do?

We could stay another 6-12 months, in an attempt to save some more, but I don't think it would make a huge difference...

I also can't help but wonder how much harder it would be to move/transition after a new child is born?


I know in my gut (and also been confirmed by a trusted circle) that we just need to take the risk and do this-- if we don't we'll always find a reason to stay or why it's "not the right time" etc.

We need this.
For our marriage.
For our parenthood.

For our future and all of the momentum and confidence we've lost over the last few years.

But we're really fucking scared.

We don't want to make a huuuuge mistake and fail miserably.

Basically, we are terrified of 2007-08 happening all over again.

Job loss, economy crashing, financial implosion, oh my!

There isn't a nice, tidy solution to this like I want...and that's irritating.

This is a gamble no matter what, but it has to be one we take.

I'm so not good at this type of shit.

Wish us luck! Lots and lots of it!

Big money! Big money! Big moneeeeey!


We make our final decision this Friday.


thepsychobabble said...

Good luck!

Kacie said...

wishing you luck and lots and lots of love!!! xoxo

The Sweetest said...

Okay, I know the move and the money and the inlaws and the cancer and all that BUT YOU'RE PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!!!! I am so excited for you and so lame for not knowing before now. I have not been good about keeping up. Will do better.

Jayne said...

Thank you so much!

Jayne said...

Thanks, Mama! :)

Jayne said...

Ha! Yes, I am! I hit 14 weeks on Monday. Don't even worry about not knowing! I feel so behind on everything too!

How are you, my friend??

he calls me wifey said...

totally STOKED you are cancer free... i mean, duh.

as for the move... is say GO FOR IT.
i don't know why, but my gut says go for it.

i love you and i'll be praying it works out! <3

Leighannn said...

You have been through so much! Losing the jobs, having to move in with the parents, more disappointment with jobs, then the Cancer scare.
Dude.. you need to just run with this!
I can totally understand where you are financially right now. Brian is laid off and we're down to one income. He's watching our daughter because we can't afford childcare on one income.
It's scary.
We live daily wondering if we're going to be able to afford our bills.
We do it.
We have faith.
I know you're going to do great because I believe in you.

Jaime White said...

It's like reading my own thoughts. We are planning our move and I'm scared. All these what ifs keep popping up. What if our tenants in our other properties don't renew? What if I lose my job? What if some emergency comes up? What if we have another baby? It's like I've forgotten what it's like to live like a grown up. All those what ifs were there before we moved in with the in-laws...they're always going to be there.

Good luck friend. I'm so excited for you!!!

Jayne said...

Thanks, Annie! I'm definitely trying to just go with my gut, so I really appreciate that your gut is on the same page! Haha! <3

Jayne said...

I love you. I needed this comment! Thanks, darling!

Jayne said...

I knew you be with me on this one! Ha! The what-ifs will drown you, right?

So we have to kick them in the ass!
We ARE grown ups, and we CAN do this!
Yay us!